Tuesday, March 1, 2016

First 2 Days in Rome - Part 2

One of the many reasons I enjoy blogging (when I have time) is that it allows me to further read about places I've visited.  You might identify: before you visit a place it's often a challenge to relate to the information; after you visit, that task is easier, indeed even fun.  Anyway, in following my own inserted-link to the Wiki entry for the Vatican Museums, I found an even better photo of part of entry line -- so I'm going to insert it here.  The Wiki article even cautioned about visiting on the free, last Sunday of the month.  The lesson -- I probably should read this stuff before I venture out!


After visiting St. Peter's, I explored and jumped on the Metro to head to the supposed 4pm meeting spot for the local free tour.  Of course they aren't really "free" -- but you pay at the end whatever you think it was worth -- and this one gets good reviews and Lonely Planet guidebook reference.

Well, I thought I was in the right place at the right time but could find neither the tour nor the young couple who I had met/visited with at the Basilica.  But about the moment that I was ready to give up on this tour-fail, the young couple found me and explained they too couldn't find the tour.  I'm not sure whether perhaps the tour didn't run on this Sunday or whether we were at the wrong spot, but the three of us hatched a plan to do the "tour" on our own.  I had my trusty and excellent off-line Maps.Me app and the Lonely Planet Rome guide loaded on my phone and "Michael" had the expected route/sites of the free tour on his -- so off we went. At each site, I would read the brief description from the Lonely Planet guide -- as I enjoyed their company on this impromptu tour.

A few of our stops included the Trevi Fountain:


 And the Altare della Patria:



We walked and visited for over a mile -- seeing lots of sights and even though the sun was setting, they were motivated to continue as they were leaving Rome this same night (they had flown to Rome from Poland, but were now driving south with plans to leave the car in Sicily and fly to Malta before returning home).  We talked about their dream to drive/camp across the USA -- which I encouraged, telling them about Staci and Martin's adventure to China that was life changing (for them and me). We arrived at the Colloseum after closing -- but continued exploring nearby until we finally headed for the Metro where we said goodbye at the main Rome Metro Station - Termini.  

Of course I was delighted to have, once again, added new friends to my life and travels -- fully expecting that I will again cross paths with them when they visit the USA -- or perhaps when I visit Poland!


No comments:

Post a Comment